Art has been an integral part of my life as long as I can remember. Even as a child, I expressed myself in the visual arts. Not having art materials, no crayons, scissors or glue, I used scraps of paper to build little houses and tiny furniture by tearing slots in the parts and fitting them together. I discovered painting one day while applying dyes to my works in batik. I realized that painting provided the opportunity for the pure self-expression I was looking for.
I have studied art in the various colleges I attended, and workshops from nationally known artists, such as Betty Carr and Carolyn Anderson. My desire has been for schools and the community to understand the great role the arts play in each of our lives every day. I teach art at Dinuba High School and actively support and promote the arts at the city level. I developed and each year chair the Dinuba Festival Of The Arts in May. I have bachelors degree in history, focusing on Medieval Europe. I consider Abby Rubenstein and especially Jerome Grimmer as my mentors, whom I have studied under for the last ten years. Above all, it is the experience, sitting with paint and brush, working and reworking each piece that has been my greatest master.
My subjects and style range from still life, landscape, to figurative work. I consider myself an expressionist painter because of my free use of color to express emotional content. Exuberant brushwork and color, and music for that matter, have a far greater vocabulary for emotions than our language. Each brush stroke is not only a mark of the movement of my brush, but also the thought process of how bright or dull, how long or wide, how light or dark, in the context of every other brushstroke to express the exact feeling I am painting. Look for melodies and arpeggios and accented staccato marks. In all of my art, I celebrate.
- Yosemite Western Artist Open: May 2013, First Place in Oil Category.
- Alliance of California Artists Open: January 2013, “Second Place, and “Honorable Mention” in Oil/Acrylic.
- Yosemite Western Artist Open: June 2012, "Best of Show,” a First and a Second Place in Oil/Acrylics.
- Taste The Arts Open: October 2012 “Best of Show” Oil and Acrylic.
- Alliance of California Artists Major Open Show: March 2012, “First Place,” and “Honorable Mention” in Oil/Acrylics.
- Tulare County Fair, September 2011, “Second Place,” Oil/Acrylics.
- Yosemite Western Artist Open: June 2011 “Best of Show”
- Alliance of California Artists Membership Show: “Honorable Mention” Oil/Acrylics.
- Alliance of California Artists : May 2010, Third Place, Oil/Acrylic.
- Exeter Court House, "Spring Favorites,” Main Gallery Group, Exeter CA, April to June 2013
- Ice House Theater, “Irrational Exploration,” A One Woman Show, Visalia CA, June & July 2013
- Featured Artist, Timberline Art Gallery, Sierra Art Trails Open Studio Tour, Oakhurst CA., October 2013
- Su Sa’s, Visalia, California, March 1 – April 30, 2013
- Sorensen Studio, Fresno, CA, January 2013
- Alliance of California Artists Open: January, 2013
- Main Gallery Membership Show, Su Sa’s, Visalia, California, October, 2012
- Yosemite Western Artist Open: June, 2012, Oakhurst, California
- Taste The Arts Open: October 2012, Visalia, California
- Alliance of California Artists Major Open Show, Arts Visalia, Visalia, California, March 2012,
- Tulare County Fair, Tulare, California September 2011
- Alliance of California Artists, 2011, Krazen’s, Fresno, California
- Kitchen Table Artists, September 2011, Studio 74, Fresno, California
- Yosemite Western Artist Open: June, 2011, Oakhurst, California
- Alliance of California Artists Membership Show, Fresno, California
- Alliance of California Artists : May 2010, Visalia, California